Generation No. 1
1. JOHN1 PASSAUER, SR. was born 1804 in Bavaria, and died April 28, 1884 in Cincinnati, OH.
Notes for JOHN PASSAUER, SR.:
Not proven to be the John Passauer, the father of John George Passauer. This information is from the 1870 Ohio Census. See the Joseph Passauer 1870 Part 1 & 2 census images. According to the 1870 census, there is a John Passauer age 63 living with Joseph Passauer. According to his age, John would have been born in 1807. Is this father of John George and the other brothers? If this is, John George Passauer would have been born when this John was 21 years old. This is possible! The census also states that John was "Infirm," that both his mother and dad were foreign born and that he was not an American citizen in 1870.
During the 1880 Cincinnati, OH census, John was still living with Joseph Passauer and was stated to be 77 years old. This would have him born in 1803 not 1807. This would have made John 25 years old when they had John George Passauer. Still possible!
John is buried at the Vine St. Hill Cemetery, Cincinnati, OH, Sec.12, Lot Gr. 935. Birth and death dates are from the cemetery information. According to the cemetery records, John died on 4-21-1884 at age 80. This would make him born in 1804.
From the Hamilton, Co. Court House records.
Death, John Passauer, male, white, widower, 80yrs. DOD 4/28/1884, born in Germany, #1884/436 pg 150.
Below is a History of the Carthage Road Cemetery and the Vine Street Hill Cemetery since there have been a number of queries regarding the cemetery. Additionally I think that the history below will clarify any mis-information that has been distributed regarding it's history.
History of Vine Street Hill Cemetery
This Cemetery has not always been known as the Vine Street Hill Cemetery. It was started by members of the German Evangelical Reform Churches of St. Peter and St. Paul of Cincinnati, Ohio. It was known as the German Evangelical Protestant Cemetery on Carthage Road or just Carthage Road Cemetery, located 3 and 1/2 miles from the city. Burials that had been made next to the St. Peter Church at 3001 Queen City Avenue were made to this cemetery in 1871. Many of the death records on file for the City of
Cincinnati, Department of Health, which start in 1867 give the place of burial as Carthage Road on which the entrance was located. The name of Carthage for this section of road starting north of Glenmary Avenue was changed to Vine Street after the suburb of Clifton was annexed to Cincinnati in 1896. The original and main entrance is at 3701 Vine Street and the Cemetery is known as the Vine Street Hill Cemetery.
In 1849 many residents of Cincinnati were stricken with cholera and the need for additional burial area developed. The Germans also thought the cost of "English" burial ground was too expensive. On February 26, 1850 the first land was purchased from Samuel West. In August 1882 additional land was purchased from F. Feldman and S. West. Today the cemetery consists of 170 acres of land. The immediate area was developed as a residential community by a large influx of German Immigrants. The German People desired to continue their traditional customs. They purchased family lots for multiple burials so that they could be buried together and near here they had lived and still convenient for the ritual of visitation. Four generations of the Dahmann family served as superintendents prior to 1871. Many people over the years have contributed their services gratis on behalf of the cemetery, and especially the Meier family.
A receiving vault for twelve was built in 1850 and in 1884 a chapel was built in front of the vault. An area on the west side of the property which now adjoins Section 22A and Woodsview was once called Dietze Basin, which was holding bank No.2 for the Miami-Erie Canal. This is now a pond. Fred H. Benner established in 1929 the present system of management. The office building was built in 1933 at the Vine Street Entrance. The first floor is all used as office space and the upper floor was for a residence of the superintendent.
In 1963 the management joined the ecumenical movement and became interdenominational for burials. Along with other changes in 1974 they opened the cemetery to all races. A beautiful Mausoleum was built in 1976 that can be viewed from the Interstate 75 Highway. A second entrance for the cemetery was added on the north end of the property from Mitchell Avenue, which is an egress from the Interstate Highway.
Many of the graves for the 1800's have artistic markers carved of stone to the likeness of the deceased, a custom of that time period. Some even have ceramic photos on their markers. The management has complete records of lot owners and burials and plans to provide burial space for at least twenty more years. The following named sections have been opened since 1982 for burials: Woodsview, Vineview, Meadowview, Mueller Heights, Chapel Heights, Beechview, Veterans, Wilson Ridge, Ridgeview and Garden of Olive.
Children of JOHN PASSAUER, SR. are:
2. i. JOHN GEORGE2 PASSAUER, b. Abt. 1828, Alsace-Lorraine, France; d. August 14, 1854, Cincinnati, OH.
3. ii. JOSEPH PASSAUER, b. 1837, Bavaria; d. December 04, 1891, Ohio.
iii. LOUIS PASSAUER.
Notes for LOUIS PASSAUER:
More About LOUIS PASSAUER:
Cause of Death: Black Diphtheria possibly as an infant.
iv. CHRISTOPHER PASSAUER, b. Cincinnati, OH.
Notes for CHRISTOPHER PASSAUER:
v. (POSSIBLE UNKNOWN) PASSAUER, b. New Orleans.
Notes for (POSSIBLE UNKNOWN) PASSAUER:
From John Passauer, son of James Passauer - (Possible Unknown) Passauer was born and stayed in New Orleans. Some doubt this fifth son.